This is not about MAKING custom menus in WordPress.
I’m just showing you how to “activate or deactivate” the three main menu types in StudioPress themes.
The three main types of menu are…
- Primary Navigation Menu
- Secondary Navigation Menu
- Custom menus placed in the Header Right widget area
If your theme has sidebar or footer widget areas you can add custom menus there too.
First we need to understand that the primary and secondary menus display in different places in different themes. The best way to see what the menus look like in your theme is to activate both primary and secondary menus and see where they display and how they behave.
If you haven’t chosen a theme yet look at the StudioPress demo for your selected theme and see if you can see menus in different positions. However, not all StudioPress themes have both primary and secondary menus. And some themes do have both menus but don’t use them in the StudioPress demo sites.
To activate the Primary and Secondary navigation menus go to…
- Appearance → Menus → Manage Locations
- Then choose the menus you want to use from the drop down lists
To place a Custom Menu in the Header Right widget area go to…
- Appearance → Widgets
- Click the “Custom Menu” Widget
- Select “Header Right” from the drop down list
- Click the “Add Widget” button
- Now in the Header Right widget area open the Custom Menu widget and choose a previously made menu from the list.
Looking for a StudioPress theme or hosting?
Check out the two links below…
When you sign up for a WP Engine plan, you receive the Genesis Framework and 36 StudioPress Themes free. That’s over $2,000 in value.
Buy a StudioPress theme outright and use it on all of your sites. There are three ways to get all of the StudioPress themes AND save.